Rwandan salads are made especially from fruits, but there are also vegetable salads. In the Rwandan cuisine, salads may be served as desserts or they accompany the primary dish. Below you can see some of the most popular Rwandan salads: Cabbage Salad is different from the European salads that use cabbage as a main ingredient by the fact that it is prepared with sugar, which gives it a special taste. The Lemon Salad contains lemon juice, olive oil, salt fennel bulbs and parmesan cheese. Cucumber Logs Salad is made from cucumbers, chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice and black olives. Fruit Salad includes grapes, mangoes, bananas, papaya and avocado. It is served as a dessert. Such Rwandan salads are rarely consumed as such in traditional Rwandan homes, but they are readily available in Rwandan-specific restaurants.
a.) Beans with Cassava / Maniok
- 1 cup Pinto, rosecoco or borlotti beans, almost cooked
- 0.3 kg cassava / manioc or potatoes, cut into chunks
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 Onion, sliced
How to prepare:
- When the beans are almost cooked, add the cassava / manioc or Potato chunks and boil for 10 minutes or so until they are all tender.
- While this is happening, heat the oil in a pan and cook the Onion gently until it turns golden. Add the celery and let it soften.
- Now drain the beans and cassava / manioc or potatoes and add them to the pan with the Onion and celery. Mash the beans and cassava / manioc or potatoes a little, season, and mix everything well.
- Allow the mixture to heat through and blend for 5 – 10 minutes before serving with a green vegetable and piquant sauce such as Kachumbari.