Warning: Use of undefined constant powered_by - assumed 'powered_by' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /customers/3/4/5/enjoyrwanda.info/httpd.www/wp-content/plugins/wp-followme/followme.php on line 58 Warning: Use of undefined constant powered_by - assumed 'powered_by' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /customers/3/4/5/enjoyrwanda.info/httpd.www/wp-content/plugins/wp-followme/followme.php on line 58
It’s hard to say there is diversity as far as appetizer recipes are concerned in the Rwandan cuisine. The main course is served at the starting of the meal and the appetizer is skipped altogether. However, there are some appetizers that are cooked in special situations such as weddings or other celebrations. As the traditional Rwandan meal only has one main dish and the beverages that accompany it, appetizers and desserts are often neglected. While this is not completely accurate for restaurants, which sometimes offer variations of the main Rwandan dishes, the majority of Rwandan don’t even consider appetizers to be part of a meal.
a.) Amandazi (Fritters)
- 100 gm corn flour
- 30 gm wheat flour
- 20 gm sugar
- 1 egg
- ⅛ litre milk (approximately)
- oil for frying
How to prepare:
In a bowl, mix flour and sugar.
Add the egg and milk and stir to form a viscous dough.
In a pan, heat the oil.
Add the dough one spoon at a time and fry until golden.
Place on paper towels to remove excess oil and serve hot.
b.) Plantain Cake
- 2 ripe plantains, sliced in half, then in strips
- 225 gm cottage cheese
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 20 ml dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp sugar
- 80 ml olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
How to prepare:
- Fry plantain strips in the oil until brown on both sides.
- Mix cheese, cinnamon, and sugar in a bowl.
- Beat egg yolks in one bowl, and the whites stiffly in another.
- Grease a baking dish, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Fold stiff egg whites into yolks, pour a quarter into the dish and spread on the egg mixture and a layer of fried plantain.
- Cover with quarter of cheese and some olive oil.
- Repeat layers, until ingredients are used up.
- Save a little egg mix and oil to pour over final layer.
- Bake in 180 °C oven for 40 minutes.
- Serve with meat.